legal options on mortgage or deed

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

legal options on mortgage or deed

I am looking for my options
I have been living with my inlaws paying halfof the mortgage. I am not on the
loan but on the deed. I want to move out. Had a falling out with father in law.
His wife and daughter want to leave as well. Due to him not keeping the house up
or himself we would like to leave. I threatened but nothing has changed.

What are my options and can i sue for what I think is mine for my portion of the


Asked on December 10, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are an owner with other parties and disagree about selling the house, you can bring what is called an action for partition, requesting the court to divide the aasset equally, which with real estate means it is ordered sold.  Speak with an attorney about this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption