What to do if our landlord states that we owe $525 for a cheap glass partition in our bathroom that spontaneously cracked or our lease will be terminated?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if our landlord states that we owe $525 for a cheap glass partition in our bathroom that spontaneously cracked or our lease will be terminated?

Building codes require tempered glass (which I thought would shatter, not crack). The glass cracked spontaneously likely due to temperature/pressure, since there is no ventilation system and we sometimes leave the window open. Landlord says since it was not cracked upon move-in inspection, we owe $525 for replacement. We did nothing to physically cause the damage. It is a partition above the faucet connected to the tile and extending to the water damaged ceiling and wall behind shower. Again, we did not cause the damage, but moreover this seems like a ridiculous price for replacement.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord is banking on your lack of knowledge of landlord tenant laws. You need to (before any contact with the landlord) have the building code officer come to your apartment and check things out. You are right about these shower doors. The lack of ventilation can also be a building and safety code violation so the best bet is to meet with building code officers and then begin the process from there to show a) you do not owe the money and ) he can't evict you in retaliation. If you have an agency like HUD or similar that handles or specializes in landlord tenant matters (even try legal aid in your neighborhood), you might be able to file a complaint against him to stall his antics.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption