What to do about a 10 year old judgment for a credit card debt?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a 10 year old judgment for a credit card debt?

It is no longer on my credit report and an attorney tried contacting me for $2700. Can they garnish my wages without re-opening the case? Don’t they need a court order to do so? Isn’t the statute of limitations up?

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The issue is how long the statute of limitations for judgments is in your state--states typically allow at least 10 years to enforce judgments, and some states allow longer (e.g. 15 or 20 years). If the statute of limitations for enforcing this judgment has not yet expired in your state (the relevant statute would be the one for "domestic jugments" if the judgment was from the courts of your state), then the party possessing the judgment may seek to enfore it through the customary mechanisms for collections, such as wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption