joint tenancy

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

joint tenancy

My wife and I purchased a house and title was placed in her name only since we used her credit for financing. We each paid 50% of the down payment and for mortgage payments. She now wants me to sign a rental agreement stating that I have been a tenant not a co-owner because the IRS states that I owe back taxes for 2 years ago and she states that the rental agreement would keep the IRS from possibly attaching a lien on the property. Since mine is a community property state, so all assets aquired at the time of marriage are community. If I sign a rental agreement would that release me from my actual 50% stake of the property or does the community property law supersede the rental agreement?

Asked on August 15, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Community property laws will supercede the rental agreement: no contract (e.g. a lease or rental agreement) can override laws; an agrement which violates or contradicts the law is void. Your wife is proposing fraud--lying to the IRS: don't do it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption