Is there a way to recoup fund needed to fix my car related to a manhole cover in middle of street?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to recoup fund needed to fix my car related to a manhole cover in middle of street?

My car sustained damage from a manhole cover in the middle of the street. The man hole was open as well.

Asked on August 22, 2016 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF you can prove that either the manhole being open was the city's fault (e.g. that a city worker opened it and left it open, without, for example, putting cones or sawhorses or anything else around it to warn drivers off) or that some other person (e.g. a vagrant; a teen doing a stupid, dangerous prank) had opened it *and* that the city had notice that it was open (i.e. someone had phoned in a complaint) and enough time had passed since the city became aware of the problem that they could have reasonably been expected to have dispatched a crew or worker to correct it, then you can potentially recover the cost to repair your car. That is, you have to be able to show that the city did something wrong--that it was the city's fault in some way--to successfully sue them for compensation. You can start, of course, by contacting the city (e.g. the road department or the legal department) and requesting compensation for the damage, but if they will not voluntarily pay, you will have to sue--and prove the city's fault--to get anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption