Is the landlord responsible to update glass panes to shatter proof glass?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the landlord responsible to update glass panes to shatter proof glass?

I recently fell in a hallway at a friend’s and cut my face open.

Asked on August 23, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you fell and injured yourself at a friend's property that she is renting where you ended up cutting your face, the landlord is required to repair the damaged glass panes as soon as possible and in a repaired condition under current building code as required by the township or county that the property is located as typically adopted under then existing guidelines of the Uniform Building Code also known as the "UBC."

If the current building code requirements in the jurisdiction where the property is located where you hurt yourself on the glass panes require "shatter proof glass," the landlord is required to make the necessary repairs to the broken glass panes with "shatter proof glass" as a safety requirement.

As to the unbroken glass panes that presumably are not up to existing building codes, they most likely are "grandfathered in" per current building code regulations and do not need to be replaced at this time.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption