Is my gym contract void because the gym employee forgot to sign it?

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my gym contract void because the gym employee forgot to sign it?

My gym refuses to let me cancel my membership. When reviewing the terms – which state that I can in fact terminate the contract in the case of a move – I noticed that the gym person who made me sign failed to sign his own part. So now, the only signature on the contract is mine.

Asked on March 1, 2012 under General Practice, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is enforceable against you. The gym can enforce the contract against you because the contract essentially is for their benefit; to tie you to monthly payments in exchange for a termed membership. At this point, you need to review the contract to see if there any other outs (aside from a move, unless the move is definite). If not, ask to speak with the regional or national director (manager) and see if you can simply get out of the contract. If you have expected certain services and did not get them, then that would be considered a breach by the gym.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption