How do I go about a divorce if my husband married me for citizenship.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about a divorce if my husband married me for citizenship.

My husband and I have veen married so
far for a year and some months, and few
months after the narriage he changed.
He is an immigrant, that has not
finished the immigration process there
is 1 nore interview that I jave chose
not to go to, and I think he is trying
to abandon me to go to the military and
gain citizenship that way, the only way
he able to go is because of my
citizenship. He has cheated and had a
girl. I need to know how to go about
this divorce I am not able to get it
annuled in NC.

Asked on April 13, 2016 under Family Law, North Carolina


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should consult a divorce attorney in your state. You should be able to file a divorce on the grounds of adultery. Your spouse will most likely fight the divorce and that could get messy. There is no reason that a court will not grant you a divorce, but in this situation a knowledgeable lawyer is your best option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption