Is my EAD eligible for the 180day extension?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my EAD eligible for the 180day extension?

EAD in hand if from OPT. I applied for a new EAD based on marriage to a US
Citizen. My job is saying they verified I can get an extension, but I do not
believe I qualify for this benefit.

Asked on January 28, 2019 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

the EAD on the basis of OPT and EAD on the basis of AOS through marriage to USC are different and although they look the same as a document and provide you with the same employment authorization, they are not interchangeable.  If you applied for the EAD through AOS, then you should wait to receive that and not extend the one through OPT since that will be very confusing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption