Is it possible to go back to court after the divorce is final?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to go back to court after the divorce is final?

I was ill when I got a divorce and I’m wondering my legal rights as far as revisiting alimony?

Asked on February 19, 2016 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If there are changed circumstances such as a change in income for you or your ex, you can seek a modification of spousal support.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause and request a hearing date  with your request for modification of spousal support.  You should also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating your reasons in support of the modification of spousal support. If the request for modification of spousal support is due to a change in your income, you should also file an income and expense declaration.  Copies of all documents you file with the court are to be served by mail on your ex.
If you are just claiming illness during your divorce, it is unlikely that alone will be sufficient to support a modification of spousal support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption