Is it legal for my landlord to e-mail a 30 day vacate notice?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my landlord to e-mail a 30 day vacate notice?

We are on a month-to-month lease. This notice was unsigned. Is this legal to do?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most states require a written, signed and dated thirty (30) day notice to a tenant ending the tenancy as a requirement for any possible unlawful detainer action and eviction process as opposed to simply e mailing the notice to a tenant by the landlord. Most thirty (30) day notices are sent certified mail, return receipt requested by the landlord to the tenant. When the tenant sign the receipt for the certified mailing, the landlord ends up with the receipt as proof that the notice was sent.

Unless your state allows service of this thirty (30) day notice by e mail to terminate your tenancy, then the service was not effective upon you to start the time to run against you.

My sentiment is that the e mail notice is not effective by the landlord.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption