Is it legal for a landlord to put notice of a rent increase under a tenant’s door?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a landlord to put notice of a rent increase under a tenant’s door?

My landlord states notice of the rent increase was put under my door but I never received it. When I told my landlord this, they never offered nor gave me a copy of the notice.

Asked on December 26, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is legal, but a rent increase is only effective if you had notice of it. So say the landlord claims he put  it under your door in October for November, but you did not find out about the increase until December, when the landlord or his/her agent(s) spoke with you: you could be held to the increase come January, typically. This is why wise landlords send the notice of increase multiple ways simultaneously, including by such means as certified mail or fed ex, so they can prove if and when tenants received the notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption