Is it illegal for an employer to pay me in cash and not getany documentation from me?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal for an employer to pay me in cash and not getany documentation from me?

Not even my Social Security card.

Asked on June 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The method you get paid is really dependent on what type of worker you are. If you are an independent contractor (not a W-2 employee), then you could probably get paid in cash or check and you would have to report your income let's say as self-employed. If you are an employee (which has legal meaning), then you would be a W-2 person, you would have had to give over your social security card to copy for all relevant paperwork to ensure proper monies were taken out for FICA, social security and the like. So, if your employer is paying you in cash and not doing anything to protect you federally or ensure proper monies are taken out, you need to report this business to your state labor department and the U.S. Department of Labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption