Is being owed roughly 500 worth taking to small claims court?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is being owed roughly 500 worth taking to small claims court?

A business partner is almost a month past the due date of a check. In our
contract it states that I would get paid on the 20th of every month. I was
supposed to get it Oct 20th, it’s now Nov 14th. He claims that the payroll
company he uses put the wrong address on the check. I know they have the
correct info because I gave them a pic of my drivers license. Everytime we
schedule a day to meet up it gets pushed back. As a result, I haven’t been
keeping up with my end of the contract to make sure I’m not wasting my time

Asked on November 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is worthwhile if you bring the action "pro se," or as your own lawyer, so long as you can afford to lose one day to court (i.e. you won't loose too much in wages or earnings): when filing pro se, you risk only your own time and the filing fee, which is usually around $50. It would *not* be worth hiring an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption