Is a hospital required to give you an incident report if a slip and fall has occurred due to floors being wet?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a hospital required to give you an incident report if a slip and fall has occurred due to floors being wet?

Also, if they check you out medically who should be responsible for these potential bills?

Asked on September 29, 2014 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

1) No, they are not obligated to give you an incident report. You do have the right to get copies of your medical file, but may need to pay a copying or administrative charge.

2) Who is liable for any medical bills depends on who is at fault:

a) If the building owner (or their staff) washed the floor and didn't put out a "wet floor" sign, or spilled something and didn't clean it up, they most likely are liable.

b) If a tenant did the above (instead of the owner/landlord doing it), they may be liable.

c) If it was a guest or visitor who spilled something, then it's possible the visitor is liable.

d) If you caused the floor to be wet, it is your own liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption