What to do if I am now being sued for an auto accident that occurred almost 3 years ago?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am now being sued for an auto accident that occurred almost 3 years ago?

At the time there were no injuries and everyone was said to be fine. It was a rear-ending but it was very minor. Insurance was exchanged and I have not heard anything about this until now. I am not sure what to do in this position now? Do you have any advice on my next steps?

Asked on September 29, 2014 under Personal Injury, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to refer any documents you have received pertaining to the lawsuit to the auto insurance company you had at the time of the auto accident.  Your auto insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you, and that attorney will handle the case for you.

Although it was a minor collision, sometimes injuries can manifest themselves after the accident.  Evidently, the case was not settled with your insurance company and that is why a lawsuit was filed against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption