Am I liable for any problems that arrise if I am listed on a liquor license?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for any problems that arrise if I am listed on a liquor license?

I do not own the bar; I am just listed on the license? Including the owner getting behind on the sales tax? Could the TABC come after me for what he owes? Additionally, what about actions that take place at the establishment? Also, is it still legal to service alcohol after you have received your 3rd DUI?

Asked on December 20, 2013 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You could be held liable because you are signing on as the responsible person on the license. Unfortunately, you may not be allowed to hold a license if you have DUIs.  Most state liquore licensing boards go through rigorous background and criminal background checks of its applicants to ensure that such scenarios don't happen. As far as the sales tax for liquor, you can be held liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption