If my rent is $845, is my landlord able to charge me a $100 late fee after 7 days?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my rent is $845, is my landlord able to charge me a $100 late fee after 7 days?

I’ve read before that they aren’t allowed to charge over 10%.

Asked on July 19, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is no hard and fast rule. Generally, judges will allow late fees if they aren't excessive; what is "excessive" is more than slightly subjective, and different judges may vary. A $100 late fee on $845 is around 11.8%...since I have definitely seen 10% late fees allowed, it is not necessarily the case that an 11-12% fee would be disallowed. Furthermore, in your opinion, you should be paying a $84.50 fee, or $15.50 less; is that $15.50 worth getting hauled into court, and having to defend yourself from a lawsuit or eviction, since if you don't pay the fee, the landlord may take legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption