Can a registered sex offender be the president of an HOA?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a registered sex offender be the president of an HOA?

I moved here unknowing that fact. His exact crime was possession of child pornography. I have a small child. He has knocked on my door for information concerning our home title with my child in his presence. Also, we are now required to put stickers on our vehicles to identify homeowner’s in our neighborhood which gives him privy to our home addresses and vehicles info and names of our family members and phone numbers. I do not wish him to have these. Another disturbing fact is that his office where we are to get said vehicle stickers is located right beside the community pool with views of swimming children. Is there is some law that makes this illegal?

Asked on July 19, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, there is no law that makes this illegal: a registered sex offender can be president of an HOA or otherwise occupy many positions (e.g. building maintenance; contractor doing work in family homes; etc.) that bring him into contact with young children. Your best recourse may be to try to get him voted out next time there is an election.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption