If you have already been sentenced but the wrong date of the incident wasgiven, can something be done?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you have already been sentenced but the wrong date of the incident wasgiven, can something be done?

Didn’t realize until we left courthouse.

Asked on July 21, 2011 North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Once a conviction of a crime has occurred (either by a plea or an actual trial before a judge or jury) and a sentence has been imposed by the court for the conviction, the alleged wrong date of the incident means nothing at this point.

The conviction cannot be set aside at this point in time because you believe that the wrong date of the incident was provided.

Did you have a lawyer representing you when the plea was entered or at trial? Or did you represent yourself without legal counsel during the criminal proceedings? The sentence imposed is the penalty for the crime that you were convicted of. Once imposed, nothing can be done with it if you think the wrong date for the crime's date was provided.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption