If the fault is unclear regarding an accident and the other party wants us to sign a release, what should we do?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the fault is unclear regarding an accident and the other party wants us to sign a release, what should we do?

Our car was rear-ended but the other side accuses us of fault. They say that they have a witness that will vouch (which seems questionable) that it was our fault. They wouldn’t provide the policy number for us to just file a claim with insurance, unless we sign their release form acknowledging that we are at fault. We can’t move forward from the accident, because the other party is being aggressive and unwilling to just provide a policy number (we can let the insurance companies decide the fault)

Asked on August 18, 2011 California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

DON'T SIGN THE RELEASE.  The other driver is clearly at fault because you were rear-ended.  In CA, in a rear-end collision, the vehicle which rear-ended you is always at fault.  I suspect the other driver is uninsured and that is why no insurance information was provided.  If the other driver is uninsured and you have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy, you can file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company.  You might also contact the police about this other driver being aggressive and refusing to provide a policy number.

In addition to a property damage claim for the cost of repairs to your car, if you were injured in the accident, you would have a personal injury claim.  When you  complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of any wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for  wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance company (when these current insurance problems are resolved), you can reject the settlement offers and sue the other driver for negligence.  If the case is not settled with the insurance company, you will need to file your lawsuit for negligence against the other driver prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption