If someone writes you a check and you cash it at a store but it bounces, is it your responsibility or theirs?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone writes you a check and you cash it at a store but it bounces, is it your responsibility or theirs?

If it is theirs how do you explain it to the store?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you deposited the bad check written by someone to you and it fails to clear due to insufficient funds, you are responsible for the process fee directly for the bad check. Indirectly, the person who wrote you the bad check is responsible to you for the process fee regarding the bad check and making the check good to the person who deposited it in the amount of the check.

If you deposited the check and received funds for it where the balance of your account has insufficient funds to cover the bad check, you are ultimately responsible for repaying the bank for that money. You then go after the person who wrote the bad check to make good on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption