If someone says I stole from their home while staying there, will a warrant be issued for my arrest?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone says I stole from their home while staying there, will a warrant be issued for my arrest?

I was staying in their home and moved out. Now, I’m being accused of having stolen a tablet and other

items. Will a warrant be issued for my arrest just based on their word what exact evidence will they need to support their claim against me?

Asked on November 7, 2017 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Whether there *will* be a warrant, we cannot say: that depends on how believable or credible this person was, how seriously the authorities take her accusations, and the value of the allegedly stolen items. What we can say is that a warrant *could* issue for your arrest: the testimony of a witness to or victim of a crime, by itself and without any other evidence, can be sufficient for criminal charges and an arrest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption