If a police officer lies on a police report, can I still be convicted of the charges brought against me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a police officer lies on a police report, can I still be convicted of the charges brought against me?

I was involved in a car accident and a person in my car left
drugs in my car that I was unaware of. Because it was my
car they are trying to charge me with it. I’ve never had a
drug charge or anything. The officer claims he found myself
and passenger in the vehicle but he did not i had left the
vehicle because I was in danger where it was and went to
a house and called a ambulance and the police. So he
falsified the the report. Can I still charged for the crime.
Further more I was not caught with drugs on myself they
were found in the passengers belongings.

Asked on November 7, 2017 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Technically, yes: a lie on a report does not preclude or bar charges--or being convicted of charges--if there is sufficient other credible/reliable evidence. If the officer's testimony is key or critical or important evidence, however, then a demonstrated lie by him will badly undercut his credibility, at a minimum, and could completely invalidate his testimony. Thus, if the state relies on this officer' testimony or generally or this report specifically, the lie could result in an acquittal (winning at trial) or even a dismissal (not having to go to trial), though if the state has other strong evidence, the effect of the lie may be minor and you could end up being convicted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption