If someone drops off a computer to be fixed but has not picked up after 30 days, can it be considered abandoned?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone drops off a computer to be fixed but has not picked up after 30 days, can it be considered abandoned?

One of my classmates asked if I could fix a computer for her. She dropped it off but then she changed her mind several times and then never came to pick up the computer. 30 days have gone by and she hasn’t responded to any text messages, e-mails or anything. What can I do with the computer?

Asked on August 21, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would hold on to the computer and I would not do anything with it just yet.  You are not in the business of fixing computers and I could see the situation turning in to one that would have you liable for "conversion" of the equipment under the law.  She entrusted it to you and although she has not picked it up you can not consider it abandoned property at this point in time. Wait until school begins again and you are ale to see her on a regular basis.  Or if you know where she lives it may be best for you to pack up the computer and drop it off at her house.  Get a receipt or it if she is not home.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption