If I was told rent was a certain amount and it changed, do I have to pay the difference?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was told rent was a certain amount and it changed, do I have to pay the difference?

We were told that rent was a certain amount upon signing the lease but after half a month of living here, they are threatening to sue us over $4.17, a miscalculation on their part. Am I liable to pay that? They also said there will be a $5 late fee and $190 lawyer’s fee if it’s not paid by today. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve the dispute over the $4.17 amount is to carefully read the presumed written lease that you have to ascertain who was correct or incorrect in the total rental amount. If you are correct, I would write the landlord a detailed letter explaining why you are correct with specific references to the lease. If you are incorrect in what you paid, I would pay what is owed including any late fee.

The concern I have is that your landlord is making such a big deal about $4.17 with the threatened lawsuit for that amount, late fee and the claim for $190.00 in attorney's fees. For the relationship to start out the way it has with the landlord, I would be very cautious in how you deal with him or her in the future concerning the rental.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption