IfI left my apartment for2 weeks is that called abondement?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI left my apartment for2 weeks is that called abondement?

My daughter lives in low income housing. She went to jail last week and she will get out in about another week. She’s in on a misdemeanor and the day she left her landlord put a notice of abandonment on her door. She said that she will have to change her locks and put her belongings outside. I know leaving for 2 weeks is not abandonment; living in low income and going to jail on a misdemeanor isn’t cause for getting evicted. The steps they’re taking aren’t legal eviction steps. What can we do?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

And the issue is that the court must declare that the property is abandoned and give the landlord a remedy.  They can not just take what they perceive to be legal steps on their own.  So go and seek help from a tenant's rights group in your area or a landlord tenant attorney as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption