How to get my wife legal status in the US?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get my wife legal status in the US?

Last month I had a son with a woman from Sweden. She came here 6 years ago with her then husband. We also just married last week. Her visa is expired but not her I-94. That’s good for another 3 months. What do I need to do?

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is hard to imagine how her I-94 can be valid still if she has been in the US for 6 years unless she was a dependent of a work visa beneficiary, for instance.  Assuming she is legally divorced from her first husband and you two legally married, you can petition for her permanent residence on the basis of your marriage.  You would need to petition for her and concurrently she can apply for her adjustment of status to permanent residence.  You will need to provide all the supporting documentation to the USCIS.  The forms can be found on the USCIS website, if you intend to do the process on your own.  I would probably suggest that you consult with and/or retain the services of an immigration attorney to ensure that the process is done accurately.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption