If an eviction case was won but the notice to vacate was not served, can it still be served 3 months later or does the person go back to court again?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an eviction case was won but the notice to vacate was not served, can it still be served 3 months later or does the person go back to court again?

We have been living in a house for over 15 years that was given to us by my husband’s mother. 3 years ago it was put in a trust to protect it from creditors. Mom died a year ago and her last wish was that our house be taken out of the trust. It was not; it is a trust property. My husband is 1 of beneficiary’s of the trust. His sister is the Trustee. Then 3 months ago she went to court to have us evicted. At the same time we filed for quiet title and to have her removed as the trustee. She won the eviction but did not serve the notice for us to vacate. We are still on the property andhave a lis pendens filed.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you lost an eviction case concerning the property that you are staying in but have yet to be served with the notice of eviction, you do not need to leave the property yet. The order is valid but has no effect since you were not served with it. The person who obtained the eviction order does not need to go back to court for another order based upon what you have written.

You mention in your question that there is a lis pendens filed by you concerning the property which I presume arose out of a quiet title action filed by you in a matter entirely unrelated to the eviction proceeding. If this is so, it is probably a good idea to have a motion filed in the quiet title action seeking an injunction as to any eviction order pertaining to you and the property "staying" its enforcement to maintain the status quo of the situation.

If you have an attorney representing you on the quiet title action, defer to his or her judgment regarding my suggestion. If you do not have an attorney representing you, I suggest retaining one versed in real property matters.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption