If a man is hospitalized for a mental illness, can his wife negotiate and collect on his paycheck?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a man is hospitalized for a mental illness, can his wife negotiate and collect on his paycheck?

My husband has been hospitalized for a mental illness and his boss is refusing to allow me to discuss his paycheck or even the possibility to collect the paycheck without my husband’s permission, which I cannot get because of the hospitalization.

Asked on July 21, 2011 Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an attorney about the best way of achieving it--it will take some paperwork and legal action on your behalf. The employer is correct, to begin with, in that being married does not, without more, give you the right to discuss pay or wages or to collect or negotiate a paycheck. If your husband had granted you power of attorney (a broad-based one, including banking powers) previously, before becoming mentally ill, that would probably have sufficed; however, if he is now mentally ill, he probably cannot grant a power of attorney. You may need to have your husband declared incompetent and yourself apointed as his legal guardian to have the authority you want; again, the best thing to do is to discuss this with an attorney, who can evaluate what would work best for you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption