If a husband decides to stop paying bills can he just legally be put out

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a husband decides to stop paying bills can he just legally be put out

My wife has been committing adultery
matter of fact it’s 412 a.m she’s not
home now so I decided I’m done paying
bills I will be moving out in a few
months can she legally put me out there
hasn’t any domestic violence or verbal
abuse towards her I’m just not paying
any more bills I’ve been here paying
bills for 3 and a half years we stay in
a apartment not a house

Asked on October 15, 2016 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Until a formal separation agreement has been entered into or a final decree of divorce has been issued, the home that a married couple shares is still considered to be the "joint marital residence". Accordingly, both spouses have the right to occupy it. This is ture no matter whose name the lease (or deed) is in. That having been said, if you stop paying the bills, which I assume includes the rent, your landlord will have a say about putting both of you out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption