What can I do if I work for a security company but it always pay me late?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I work for a security company but it always pay me late?

We are supposed to get our checks every other Friday but that is not the case with me. I have spoken with co-workers and they get their checks on time and sometimes get their checks delivered to them at work. Every time they hand me my check, I’m told that I cannot cash it because they do not have funds in the bank to pay me. I am still owed a check that I was supposed to get paid 1 month ago. Every time I ask where is my check, I’m told that I will get it at the end of the week and then I never hear about it. I have to keep asking over and over for it.

Asked on March 21, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There's very little you can do about chronic late payment other than looking for a different job, especially if the problem is that they lack funds to pay you. (And if your employer is in that sort of financial distress, that's another reason to look for a different job.) There really isn't a good legal mechanism to address problem.

If they never pay you the missing check, you could sue them for the money--that would be the only way to get it. Obviously, suing your employer is a last resort, when all else has failed and you've essentially given up on the job anyway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption