What to do if I won a eviction case against my tenants a few months ago but I have not seen any money?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I won a eviction case against my tenants a few months ago but I have not seen any money?

They were ordered to pay for damages, back rent, and lawyer fees. What can I do to get them to pay?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are some mechanisms that can be employed to recover money if the judgment debtor (the tenant against whom you one a judgment) will not pay voluntarily: wage execution (garnishment), a levy on a bank account (taking money from a bank account owned by the debtor), putting a lien on real property, or executing on personal property (e.g. having belongings seized and sold). However, all  these mechanisms require knowing whether the debtor is, what he owns, where he banks, where he works. There are law firms which specialize in collections: you should contact one. If there's not enough money at stake to make it worthwhile to consult an attorney, then the best thing is to probably forget about the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption