If Iwas violently attacked by a co-worker and filled out a police report, now what?

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas violently attacked by a co-worker and filled out a police report, now what?

I was attacked with a pole and putty knife. I received eleven stitches in my hand.

Asked on September 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to get to a civil attorney immediately for a minimum of two things. First, you want to ensure this co-worker (if still employed or otherwise) stays away from you. So, you need to have your lawyer file for a temporary and permanent restraining order. Second, you will want to consider suing this co-worker or former co-worker and any supervisors and the company. The reason you want to do this is because if this co-worker had a violent history and has done this to others or has had a criminal past and the employer knew, it could be used to show the employer did not properly protect you against this violence. You want to make sure your medical costs and pain and suffering are covered. Further, you want to ensure that you have to recover and that if time off from work is needed, that your paycheck still comes to you or the equivalent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption