What should I do if I was served someone else’s documents?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was served someone else’s documents?

The address was addressed to my father, and I’m his power of attorney. However the documents inside was addressed to someone else that I have no knowledge of. It was sent certified mail and the return receipt was missing. I did not sign for it. I’m afraid that the papers that were supposed to be served to my father were served to someone else. How should I respond? Lastly my father is incapacitated and unaware of anything.

Asked on January 2, 2016 under Business Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to call the law firm that sent another person's documents in an envelope addressed to your father.  If your father's documents were sent to the wrong person, you don't want the law firm to claim that you missed a deadline to respond and then have to attempt to prove that you did not miss the deadline because the documents were not received.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption