If Iwas terminated by a MD based company but worked/lived in CA, am I protected under CA Labor laws?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas terminated by a MD based company but worked/lived in CA, am I protected under CA Labor laws?

I was fired approximately 13 days ago and have not been paid final salary, commissions, vacation, and PTO. Being based out of MD with account managers throughout the US, it appears as though the company is following MD labor laws. However, I thought that I was protected under CA labor codes 201, 202, and 203. Is this correct? I did go through my hiring paperwork, and the “company policy” states final wages will be paid on the following scheduled payday. Does this override the CA labor codes? Having not been paid yet, do I have a case for section 203 regarding penalties due to former employees with wages being held? If so, how should I go about this? Should i speak with an employment law attorney? In Orange County, CA.

Asked on November 10, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking an employees home state governs the terms of their employment.  California has notoriously pro-employee labor laws and offers unprecedented protection to an employee. There may be another issue as well with regard to the employee handbook that you are referring to.  Some states lien to it being a contract between parties and some states shy away from that theory entirely.  There is always a question as to what will happen when an employees home state differs from their employers home state and the HR personnel comply with the state in which they are located which is contrary to the employees home state laws.  Bring the issue to their attention.  If they do not respond in a way that satisfies you seek legal help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption