What can I do if I was recently discharged from my job but did not receive notice as per my employment contract?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was recently discharged from my job but did not receive notice as per my employment contract?

I signed a contract with my employer and it provided that I be given notice of my discharge several days in advance. I was not provided notice. I also have not received my last check. They say I have a laptop that I do not have. Are there any actions that can be taken on either of these issues?

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue your employer to get the last check (which the law requires you get) and to get an extra however-many days of pay (as per the notice provison of your contract)--i.e. getting notice effectively means being paid for the notice period, so if you didn't get notice, you missed out on pay which was contractually owed you. Even if they feel still have a laptop, they have to pay you what you are due; their recourse, if they truly think you took a laptop, would be to sue you for its return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption