What happens if I was ordered to pay $500 restitution for petty theft back 10 years ago but have not done so?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I was ordered to pay $500 restitution for petty theft back 10 years ago but have not done so?

I only paid $50. I have gotten the minutes of the case and it still says that only $500 is still owed. Does restitution increase if it hasn’t been paid by the designated time?

Asked on March 2, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to look at the terms of the original restitution agreement to see if interest was a part of it. But even worse you face up to the maximum punishment of your original plea deal for failing to pay restitution. So if you plead guilty to petit larceny you face up to one year in jail for not paying full restitution. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption