What should I o if I was involved in an altercation in a bar and a detective wants to question me about it?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I o if I was involved in an altercation in a bar and a detective wants to question me about it?

I didn’t hit anyone but someone I was with pushed someone. The other party filed a report. If questioned, do I have to tell the name of the person that did the pushing,

Asked on April 5, 2015 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you would have to tell the police:

1) Lying to the police, and/or interferring with a police investigation, are crimes: you could potentially face charges yourself for withholding the information.

2) The 5th Amendment only applies to information which could incriminate yourself, not which might incriminate others; unless the person who pushed was your spouse (there is a spousal privilege), there is no basis for not disclosing his/her name to the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption