What is a writ of summons and how do I get one?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a writ of summons and how do I get one?

Almost 2 years ago I was rear-ended in a car accident. I am still receiving medical treatment so the insurance company told me I need to file a writ of summons before the 2 years is up in order to continue to get the medical bills paid. I do not want to settle because I do not know what the future medical bills will be.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A writ of summons is a notice of a lawsuit being filed against another person in addition to the actual complaint filed by a plaintiff. What you have been advised to do is to file a lawsuit as soon as possible (at least within two years of the accident where you were injured) and if you do not do so, you could very well be barred by your state's statute of limitations for bringing a lawsuit.

I recommend that you immediately consult with a personal injury attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption