Does my landlord have to notify me if he hires a managment company?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my landlord have to notify me if he hires a managment company?

I’ve live in a multi-family complex for 5 years, no lease, for $600 a month. I’ve also done painting, cleaning, landscaping and snow removal for rent reduction over the years. My landlord just hired a managment company and has not given us any notice and expects the tenents to just sign a new lease and start paying the managment company this month. Should I have gotten notice and, if so, how early. Do I have to sign a new lease?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, if you have no written lease for the unit you have then under the laws of all states in this country you are on an oral month-to-month lease.

Your landlord has every right to hire a property management company for the complex he or she owns without having to notice the tenants of such.

If you want to remain in the unit that you are occupying, you should consider signing the written lease that has been presented to you. You are not obligated to do so. If you refuse, you may end up with a thirty (30) day termination notice of your lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption