What are my rights if I was falsely accused of being drunk at work and was fired for it without having a breathalyzer issued?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was falsely accused of being drunk at work and was fired for it without having a breathalyzer issued?

Can I sue the company and the person who said I was drunk for defaming me? Also, how much could I sue for what are my rights?

Asked on October 28, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had a written employment contract which was violated, you have no grounds to sue the company: without a contract, you were an "employee at will" and could be fired at any time for any reason, without any obligation or requirement for proof, such as for an unproven allegation of being drunk at work. It was legal for your employer to fire you.
IF the other person lied about you being drunk, then you may be able to successfully sue him/her for defamation, but if you had been drinking, or if based on your behavior or demeanor, a reasonable person would have though you had been drinking, they would not be liable (since they stated the truth based on what they reasonably perceived). If they did lie, however, you might be able to recover an amount equal to several months of pay, since they evidently cost you your job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption