Can a breach of contract fee be deducted from my final paycheck?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a breach of contract fee be deducted from my final paycheck?

I was employed as an independent contractor for 7 days, when hired I signed a contract saying that I was to give 30 days notice to terminate employment. I received no training, was expected to rectify a customer’s complaints for free and was not okay with the overall business practice of this company, so I quit without notice. I have since received my paycheck and I see that a $200 fee was deducted for breaching contract. Is this legal?

Asked on August 25, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

An independent contractor is not an employee an independent contractor is, as the name implies, paid according to his/her contract. By your own admission, you breached the contract by failing to provide 30 days notice. The employer could theoretically have sued you for any costs or losses it incurred due to that breach, such as if had to hire a temp through an agency at a higher price to do the work you would otherwise have done, or lost profits if it lost or could not complete any accounts, etc. While it may be the case that it the employer would have lost less than $200 and if it did, could recover less than that, it's also the case that it might have lost more--possibly considerably more. Since to recover the $200 you'd have to sue your former employer, which has its own costs in time and money, and if you did, if they had greater losses, they could counter sue you, it may be best--given your admitted breach--to accept the $200 debit and leave well enough alone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption