If I was charged with misdemeanor DUI a year ago but the case was dismissed, how should I fill in my N-400?

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with misdemeanor DUI a year ago but the case was dismissed, how should I fill in my N-400?

I am about to file an N400. In the application it asks for the explanation for the arrest. How detail should I have to explain? What should I need to include in the explanation?

Asked on April 19, 2015 under Immigration Law, West Virginia


Ling Dai / The Dai Law Firm, PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You just need to give the basic information of the charge and disposition, and send USCIS a copy of the arrest record and final disposition in the manner they require in the check list. Those basic information could include why you were charged, i.e. Misdemeanor DUI (recommend to use the term as per penal code), where you were arrested or charged, and the final disposition of the case.

This asnswer is for general information only, which does not constitute legal advice or create attorney-client relationship.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption