I took a pre-employment drug test but they lost my sample.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I took a pre-employment drug test but they lost my sample.

I took a pre-employment drug test and my sample was lost. They are claiming I was never there. I handed them a slip of paper with a barcode that I was instructed to take to the facility and initialed the sample. I was not provided with a receipt to any other documentation. I am contacting my cell phone carrier to see what I need to do to prove my location on the day I was there. What other course of action do I have? I turned down another role for this one, so I will suffer financial damages if my offer is revoked.

Asked on January 2, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Without a written employmment contract guarantying you the job for a definite period of time (such as a one-year contract), there is a very little you can do: when there is no contract, employment is "employment at will," which means the employer can freely decide who to hire, who to retain, who to fire, and may renege on job offers. Without a written employment contract, they are not obligated to hire you and may refuse to do so for any reason--including ones that may be factually mistaken or wrong.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption