If I signed a contact to sell my house but now don’t ant to sell, what can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a contact to sell my house but now don’t ant to sell, what can I do?

I signed a contact to sell my house. Now, after 24 hours, I’ve changed my mind not to sell. It hasn’t been listed and no pictures have been taken. I called and spoke with the realtor and he said that he would get back to me after the weekend. I also sent an email explanation why I was backing out to sell my house.

Asked on July 19, 2019 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

By a contract to sell your house, do you mean a contract with a realtor to sell it for you? If so, the easiest thing to do is simply to not accept any offers, which is your perogative, if the realtor insists on bringing them to you. A seller is never required to accept an offer. You may have to pay the realtor's expenses (e.g. marketing or materials) as set out in the contract, since you can't simply unilaterally void the contract if the realtor refuses to agree to terminate, but you can still refuse to sell.
If you mean a contract with a buyer, you can only get out of it if 1) there is some clause or provision in it allowing you to terminate it, and you properly exercise your rights under that provision; or if 2) the buyer breaches (violates) the contract in some material (important) way, such as by not paying a deposit or other sum when he or she should. Otherwise, you are obligated to (locked into) the contract and must sell.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption