Can a person who signed a quit deed in a divorce get the property back in their name?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person who signed a quit deed in a divorce get the property back in their name?

My husband’s ex-wife is behind on payments on the farm he signed a Q.D. for and her name isn’t on the mortgage. She was supposed to get it re-financed but hasn’t in 17 years. Can the mortg. co. only reposses that farm, or can they come after other assets?

Asked on July 20, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) No, once you quitclaim a property to another person, you can't take it back. It's like giving someone a gift: once something is given to another, it is theirs, and the giver has no rights to it.
2) Yes, the lender can do more than repossess: your husband, as the mortgagor, is responsible for the entire remaining balance due. The lender can sue him for the money instead of repossessing, if they deem the property of little or no value. Or they can repossess, have it sold at a foreclosure sale or auction, then, if the sale doesn't bring in enough to pay off the entire remaining loan, sue your husband for the balance.
3) If there was a divorce settlement or decree requiring the ex to refinance in her name only and she has not, your husband may be able to sue her for eithe rmonetary compensation and/or to get the court to force her to go through with her obligations. Settlements and decrees are both enforceable. But 17 years is a long time--but waiting this long, it may be too late to take legal action (i.e. the "statute of limitations") may have expired. Your husband is strongly advised to consult with a famly law attorney to see what his options are to enforce his ex's obligations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption