What to do if I recently accepted a job, and was told I would be paid hourly but now they want to pay commission only?

UPDATED: Sep 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently accepted a job, and was told I would be paid hourly but now they want to pay commission only?

My first day they did not have everything set up and ready for me yet, so at the end of the day they told me to just come back on the next Monday. I had been out of work for quite a while and was very excited to be working again, and the pay seemed promising. However, before Monday, they called me back and informed me that my position wouldn’t be hourly, they were changing it to commission only without a base pay. This is something I had never done before but was in a situation where I could not say no. So, I told them that would be fine, however she could not give me a rate of pay. I went back to work on Monday and she said it was all in the works, they would tell me very soon exactly my percentage of commission and how and when I would be paid. Now, after a month of working there, they still have not told me. I have told them that I wouldn’t be returning to work until they tell me because I have basically been free labor for the last month. So, they send me a check. A check for $65 – for a month of work!. Obviously, I am upset with the company and think they should be reported for bad business ethics. I was suckered into the scam but I would hate for it to happen to anyone else. I am just not sure of my rights or who to tell.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A company can change its pay structure (such as hourly to commission) or rate (of hourly wage or commission) for an employee at will, unless there is an actual employment contract. However, whatever it is, that is what an employee must be paid until a change is made--that is, until the employe is actually given notice and details of the new pay. Furthermore, unless a job fits one of several narrow exemptions to the minimum wage law, an employee--no matter how pay is calculated--must be paid at least minimum wage ($7.25 per hour), which is obviously more than received.

You may wish to file a lawsuit against the employer--you could file in small claims, if the total amount is under the small claims limit, and act as your own attorney. Assuming the amount you were initially told you would be paid was greater than minimum wage, you should file for that amount--i.e. for that rate x the number of hours you worked--on the grounds that until and unless they actually gave you what the new commission rate was (so until they actually told you the new pay rate) you were to be paid at the rate they had initially given you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption