I provided graphic design work for a client but was not paid?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I provided graphic design work for a client but was not paid?

We had a verbal agreement, although for no specific amount was designated as a rate of pay.. After having created several designs over the course of a month I was not paid and the client continues to sell one design on a finished T-shirt, and is in the process of manufacturing two other designs (a moisture wicking T-shirt, and a technical sweatshirt). How should I go about stopping him from producing these items as he does not have express written consent as to owning the copyrights for these items?

Asked on August 28, 2014 under Business Law, Oregon


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you had an oral agreement that you would provide the graphic designs and you did so pursuant to that agreement, then you held up your end and he did not hold up his end, so what you have sounds like more of a breach of contract, or unjust enrichment, claim than a copyright infringement claim.  You are entitled to the reasonable value of your work.  Send him an invoice for that, and when he does not pay, sue him for breach of contract, or in the alternative, unjust enrichment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption