What can I do about an oil change gone wrong?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about an oil change gone wrong?

I went to a dealership for a regular oil-change. One month later, my car would not start up. I check the oil stick and it was completely dry. I went to the dealership and to explain what happen and they were reluctant to provide me with an adequate answer. They informed me that they put oil in my car and my car used up to almost 4 quarts of oil in 2,000 miles. After further diagnosis, my timing chain had failed and now I need a new engine. Prior to me bring in my car to this dealership, I had no issue with the car or the engine. In fact, my last oil change was 5 months prior and I’ve drove over 8,000 miles on the last oil-change. What can I do about this situation?

Asked on December 4, 2013 under Business Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to have a third party mechanic look at your car and come up with an opinion regarding the cause of the problem. If the problem arises from the dealership then you need to consult with an attorney who practices in the area of automobile law. One in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption